mole sul Farfa" is a recently opened local agriturismo (farm
stay), run by the Fiume Farfa cooperative
tel /fax +39 0765 469037 or 328
4603412 / 3 / 4 [email protected]
to tradition Mompeo was founded in the place where a Roman general,
Gneo Pompeo, built a residential villa, giving his name to the area.
This isn't the only reminder of the Roman presence in the area, in this
part of the Farfa valley there are several Roman funerary monuments,
the remains of villas and a Roman bridge over the River Farfa.
After Roman times, the first documentation about Mompeo comes in 817
AD. in the "Regesto Farfense" (the register kept by Farfa Abbey), where
a Fundum Pompeianum is mentioned as belonging to the Abbey. Shortly
after, in 875, the Abbot Giovanni conferred feudal rights to the territory
to a certain Francone, who built a fortress on the hill on what is now
the centre of Mompeo.
From the middle of the tenth century, after the Saracen invasions which
had brought much upheaval to the Sabina and led to the abandonment of
the Abbey, the feudal rights passed to the brothers Gaderisio and Ottaviano
di Buza. In the twelfth century the feudal lord of Mompeo was Simeotto
Orsini, founder of a long lived and powerful dynasty which gave prestige
to the area around Mompeo for five centuries, until the 1635 when the
area passed to the Marchesi Capponi of Florence.
1646 Mompeo passed to the Marchesi Naro of Rome, under whose protection
Mompeo flourished. It was during this period that several palaces -most
notably the Palazzo Baronale Orsini-Naro- and the parish church of "Nativitą
di Maria Santissima" were built, as well as the gateway to the town.
The friendship of Fabrizio and Bernardino Naro with Pope Urban VIII,
contributed to this, and their attachment to Mompeo is demonstrated
by the fact both asked for their hearts to be buried in the parish church,
though the actual tombs are in the Basilica of S. Maria sopra Minerva
The Naro family remained in control of Mompeo until the middle of the
eighteenth century, when it passed successively to the Patrizi, the
Luciani, the Ciufici, the Baranello and the Di Salvo families. Since
1995 the Baronial palace has belonged to the Comune di Mompeo.